Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Smores Stacks

My kids love pancakes.  Unfortunately, I consider homemade pancakes weekend breakfast food and normally I'm sleeping in on the weekend while my husband gets breakfast ready for the kids.  Pancakes are normally not on his breakfast menu.  So, when I make breakfast for dinner I often make pancakes or waffles. In EveryDay with Rachel Ray she has a column called To Three Cooks where three chefs create variations on a basic recipe.  Normally, I do a quick glance at the column but normally don't make anything.  All of the substitutions/swaps from the basic recipe always seemed a little annoying to me.  I'm sure I'll leave something out.  But when I saw the pancake theme in the December issue I ripped it out.  This recipe was created by one of the Senior Test Kitchen Associates.  I knew the kids would love it...I mean, who doesn't love smores?!  Of course they gobbled it down having seconds.  Honestly though, for me it was almost too sweet.  And I didn't put the chocolate sauce on that the original recipe called for!  Really, it is almost a dessert.  Yes, I gave my kids marshmallows and chocolate chips for dinner.  There was no dessert after this meal though....the meal was the dessert! 

Smores Stacks
Recipe adapted from EveryDay with Rachael Ray, December 2011

Yield:  4 servings
Prep:  10 minutes
Cook:  15 minutes

Ingredients:
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
3 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups milk
2 eggs, separated
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 cup chocolate chips

Directions:
1.In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the milk, egg yolks and melted butter. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir in the mini marshmallows and chocolate chips until just combined.

2.Preheat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Gently fold the whites into the batter.

3.Grease the griddle and ladle on 1/4-cup portions of batter. Cook on 1 side until bubbles form and the pancakes are cooked around the edges, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook through, 1 minute more. Top the finished pancakes with more marshmallows.
 
Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment