Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sweet Skillet Cornbread

I have tried many cornbread recipes.  I love making cornbread in the cast iron skillet so it gets a little crusty on the outside, but warm and moist on the inside. I know traditional cornbread is not sweet.  But I guess I'm not traditional since I really like a little sweetness to mine.  This was easy to put together and was super tasty!  I like to make cornbread when I'm making a soup or chili that I'm not sure the kids will like.  I know they will devour their cornbread.....which they did with this one.  They too prefer the sweet to the traditional cornbread.  I think this will be my new go-to cornbread recipe.
Sweet Skillet Cornbread
recipe from Food Network Magazine, June 2011

Ingredients
1 1/3 cups yellow cornmeal
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 stick unsalted butter
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons honey
3/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sour cream

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Whisk the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.

Cook 6 tablespoons butter in an 8-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes; remove from the heat. Whisk the eggs and honey in a bowl, then whisk in the milk, sour cream and browned butter. Add to the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet over medium heat until it foams. Remove from the heat and add the batter. Transfer to the oven; bake until the cornbread springs back when pressed, 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes in the skillet before slicing.

Family Rating: 2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment