Friday, October 12, 2012

Recipe Repeat: Cheeseburger Meatloaf

I had my fill of cheeseburgers this past summer and don't make burgers a lot (although Rachael Ray sure has many delicious looking ones in her magazines!), even though I do enjoy them.  As fall comes I think less of burgers and more of meatloaf.  It's similar to a burger, without the bun, right?!  And this recipe combines the flavors of a cheeseburger in meatloaf form.  This was in my folder of recipes that I've made before, although I couldn't tell you when.  I know that we enjoyed it the first time I made it though, which is why I had saved the recipe in the first place.  The flavors of a cheeseburger are all in there - the pickles, onion, cheese.  Of course my son didn't eat much of this, but my daughter really liked it.  Unfortunately, there is a bit of preparation for this and a lengthy cooking time so this does not make for a quick weeknight dinner.  However, when I was working and we wanted meatloaf for dinner, my husband or I would prep the meatloaf the night before and then I'd stick it in the oven when I got home from work.  So at least all the prep work was out of the way and I had time to give the kids showers, help with homework, etc.


Cheeseburger Meatloaf
recipe from EveryDay with Rachael Ray, April 2008

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing
1 red onion, finely chopped
2/3 cup ketchup
2/3 cup bread crumbs
2 large eggs
1/2 cup bread-and-butter pickle chips, chopped
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
8 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into 1/3-inch cubes
2 pounds new red potatoes
3/4 cup heavy cream

Directions:
1.Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet. In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.

2.In a large bowl, combine the ketchup, bread crumbs, eggs and pickles; mix in the onion. Crumble in the beef, add the cheese and mix together. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and shape into a 4-by-12-inch loaf. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 160 degrees , about 35 minutes.

3.Meanwhile, halve the potatoes and place them in a large pot with enough salted water to cover by an inch. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain, return to the pot and mash with the cream.

4.Let the meatloaf rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with the mashed potatoes.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

This post is shared at:
Miz Helen's Country Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment