I enjoy eating lasagna but it can take some time to make. Without some prep work, it's usually not a weeknight meal. This recipe takes the ingredients of a lasagna without a lot of the work. However, I definitely prefer the taste of a traditional lasagna.....hard work and all! While this was easier to make, it definitely wasn't a favorite.
recipe from all*you, July 2012
8 ounces sweet or hot Italian sausage, removed from casing
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups ricotta (not nonfat)
1 cup grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
12 lasagna noodles, each broken in half
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
2. Cook sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up large pieces, until it loses its pink color, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, oregano and 1/2 tsp. salt, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thick, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
3. Combine ricotta, Parmesan and basil in a medium microwave-safe bowl.
4. Add noodles to boiling water; cook until just tender, 10 minutes or as package label directs. Just before noodles are done, microwave ricotta mixture on high for 30 seconds, stirring once. Drain noodles well.
5. Spread 1 1/2 Tbsp. sauce on each of 4 dinner plates. Place a noodle on top and spread with 1 1/2 Tbsp. cheese mixture. Top with 1 1/2 Tbsp. sauce. Repeat with noodles, cheese mixture and sauce, ending with a layer of sauce. Sprinkle Parmesan on top. Serve, passing additional Parmesan.
Family Rating: 1 thumb up.