Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Ground Beef Stroganoff

I haven't made a stroganoff in awhile but it seemed like a good dish for this recent chilly weather we've been experiencing. I like the combo of mushrooms, onions, and sour cream which are the main components of a stroganoff.  I've made stroganoff using beef strips and chicken but I don't think I've ever made one before using ground beef.  I have to say that after making this, I'm not a fan of using ground beef.  The flavor of this dish was good but I think I'd substitute in chicken or steak if I made this again. My daughter ate her serving, minus the mushrooms.  My son ate the noodles. 
Ground Beef Stroganoff
recipe from My Biscuits are Burning

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 med. yellow onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 cup sour cream
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
Handful of mushrooms, (about 8 oz.) sliced
3 tbsp. flour
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Egg Noodles, cooked according to package directions

Directions:
Bring a pot of water to boil and begin to cook noodles according to package directions.

In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown ground beef until thoroughly cooked.

Drain ground beef to remove excess grease from pan.

Put pan back on stove (setting aside the ground beef), add 2-3 tbsp butter and also the chopped onions and mushrooms (if using). Saute the onions and mushrooms, over medium heat, until onions are soft and then add garlic.

Only cook for another 1-2 minutes so garlic doesn't burn.

Add flour to pan, stir and let it absorb butter. Now add beef broth and whisk vigorously to remove any lumps, turning the heat up to high, bringing it to a boil for 2-3 minutes until you see it thicken slightly.

Bring temperature down to medium and whisk in sour cream and cream of mushroom soup. Stir until mixture is thoroughly incorporated.

Add salt & pepper. Keep tasting mixture until it is seasoned the way you like. If it gets too thick on you, just add a tad more beef broth.

Add ground beef back to mixture until reheated.

Serve over hot noodles.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up.

No comments:

Post a Comment