Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Beginning Reader Book Review: Marley and the Runaway Pumpkin

Marley and the Runaway Pumpkin (I Can Read Book 2)

Marley and the Runaway Pumpkin
Based on the books by John Grogan
Written by:  Susan Hill
Cover illustration by:  Richard Cowdrey
Interior Illustrations by:  Lydia Halverson
Published by: Harper, 2010
32  pages

from goodreads.com:
Marley's family has spent months growing a giant pumpkin to take to the fair. When the big day finally arrives, Mommy, Daddy, Cassie, and Baby Louie try to be extra careful with their blue-ribbon pumpkin. But with a dog like Marley around, being careful isn't always enough.

Young readers will love Marley's delightfully destructive antics in this I Can Read story.

* I first became familiar with John Grogan after reading his memoir Marley & Me.  The kids became familiar with Marley when they received Bad Dog, Marley as a present.  Since then we've read a couple of the I Can Read books starring this lovable dog.  Although this isn't a Halloween book, it is a fitting fall book.  Especially since we read this the same day that I went with my son and his preschool class pumpkin picking.  Harper Publishing has a leveled I Can Read series to help children choose books appropriate for their reading level.  This particular book is a level 2 Reading with Help.  It was a little more difficult than the books he has been reading to me.  He actually did a great job reading this and could have read the whole book himself (it might have taken a bit longer though!), but I ended up reading alternate pages with my son.  In this book Cassie and her parents have grown a giant pumpkin and are ready to take it to the fair, hoping to win a blue ribbon.  But of course when Marley is around things don't go as planned!  It ends with a lesson about making lemonade when life gives you lemons. 

*This book was borrowed from the library.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment