Friday, October 19, 2012

Children's Book Review: Good Night Goon

Goodnight Goon: A Petrifying Parody

Goodnight Goon
Written and illustrated by:  Michael Rex
Published by: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 2008
32 pages

from goodreads.com:
Goodnight monsters everywhere, in this parody romp with its own special twist!  Goodnight tomb. Goodnight goon. Goodnight Martians taking over the moon.

It's bedtime in the cold gray tomb with a black lagoon, and two slimy claws, and a couple of jaws, and a skull and a shoe and a pot full of goo. But as a little werewolf settles down, in comes the Goon determined at all costs to run amok and not let any monster have his rest.

A beloved classic gets a kind-hearted send up in this utterly monsterized parody; energetic art and a hilarious text will have kids begging to read this again and again.

* With Halloween soon approaching it's time for reading lots of spooky holiday-themed books.  My daughter recently brought home the Scholastic book order form from school.  As she circled almost every book in the flyer as one that she wanted I told her that I'd get them from the library.  I am not opposed to my kids reading....I highly encourage it and read with them.  However, I'm currently against purchasing anymore books for the time being.  My house is overflowing with books.  As a former teacher of various grades, I have boxes of picture books and chapter books!  The Scholastic flyer is a good way to see what books are new or seasonally appropriate and then I put them on hold from the library catalog.  Although this book isn't new, it was the first time that I had seen or heard of it.  Of course the kids are familiar with the Children's classic Goodnight Moon.  This parody is a much spookier version of the classic.  It was a great pick to kick off our seasonal holiday reading.  My kids don't scare easily so the pictures weren't frightening for them.  After I read picture books to them I leave them around for the kids to look at and read on their own.  They enjoy going back and looking at the pictures of this one.

*This book was borrowed from the library.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up.




No comments:

Post a Comment