Saturday, October 20, 2012

Children's Picture Book Review: Substitute Creacher

Substitute Creacher

Substitute Creacher
Written and illustrated by:  Chris Gall
Published by: Little Brown and Company, 2011
40 pages

from goodreads.com:
The troublemaking students of Ms. Jenkins' class arrive at school one day to discover a substitute creacher has come to put a stop to their monkey business! He regales them with mind-boggling stories about his former students who didn't follow the rules: Keith the glue-eater, Zach the daydreamer, and Hank the prankster, to name a few. But even this multi-tentacled, yellow-spotted, one-eyed monster's cautionary tales about the consequences of mischief-making can't seem to change the students' wicked ways until he reveals the spookiest and most surprising story of all: his own.

Chris Gall's vibrant artwork leaps off the page with a dynamic comic book aesthetic that will grab both parents and monster-loving kids!

  *This was another book that was featured in my daughter's Scholastic book flyer.  We are familiar with one of Chris Gall's other books Dinotrux.  I think I liked it because I was a former teacher of kids who didn't behave!  This book is about a subsitute teacher who comes in to help a teacher who has a misbehaving class. This is more of a cautionary tale of behaving in school than it is about Halloween.  The pictures are colorful and Mr. Creacher is a bit scary looking.  I was really surprised at how much my kids enjoyed this.  While I thought it was okay, my daughter told me not to return it to the library because she wanted to read it again.  This prompted my son to argue that he wanted to read it again too, so the book was put in the living room where they could both read it at their leisure.  Wouldn't you know that I woke up today with my daugher lying on the floor outside my room reading this book?!! 

* This book was borrowed from our library.

 Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment