Sunday, October 14, 2012

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas

I like Mexican food.  But I'm more a fan of the stuffed, fried variety, like taquitos and chimichangas!  I also like tacos and quesadillas and can make a meal out of just the complimentary tortilla chips and fresh salsa that is put on the table. I'm not a very big enchilada eater, which is too bad for my husband, since he always seems to order them when we go out for Mexican.  I'm obviously not making them enough at home.  I just don't like the tortilla smothered in sauce.  This recipe caught my eye because of the words honey and lime.  Not words you normally associate with Mexican.  These took a little time to make, especially because the chicken needs to marinate in the sauce for at least 30 minutes.  Believe me, it is well worth it!  The sauce adds so much flavor! And there wasn't a lot of leftover sauce to mix with the sour cream, so these enchiladas weren't especially saucy, which was fine with me!  These were really flavorful (and I didn't even use all of the enchilada sauce, which I found to be a bit spicy!).  Even my brother, who was over for dinner, and who doesn't usually eat Mexican enjoyed these.  My daughter ate hers all up, while my son, as usual gave me a hard time about eating his.  But these were really tasty I had to give them a 2 thumbs up, even without his vote!

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
recipe from Cassie Craves

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons honey
5 tablespoons lime juice (about 2 limes)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded
8-10 flour tortillas
1 pound monterey jack cheese, shredded
16 ounces green enchilada sauce
1 cup sour cream

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Mix first four ingredients and toss with shredded chicken. Let the mixture marinate for at least 1/2 hour.

3. Pour about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking pan. Fill flour tortillas with chicken and shredded cheese, roll them up and place in bottom of pan, saving about 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top of enchiladas.

4. Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the sour cream and leftover marinade. Pour sauce on top of rolled enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until brown and crispy on top.

Family Rating: 2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment