Sunday, August 5, 2012

Picnic Potato Salad with No Mayonnaise

For our supper club picnic theme I had a difficult time choosing between making a pasta salad or a potato salad.  I finally decided on a potato salad.  I chose this one because there was no mayo in it and I thought that we'd be out in the hot sun picnicking.  Like I mentioned in my previous post, the weather wasn't very cooperative, so we ended up having our picnic inside.  I've made a couple of different potato salads now and I have to say that this is one of my favorites.  The blue cheese and bacon definitely helped make this so tasty! 

Picnic Potato Salad with No Mayonnaise
recipe slightly adapted from allrecipes.com by Maridele

Ingredients:
2 pounds small new potatoes, quartered
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped red onion
3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled

Directions:
1.Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with lightly salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, 10 to 15 minutes; drain.

2.Whisk vinegar, olive oil, mustard, basil, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl; add the potatoes and onion. Toss gently to coat. Let stand until cool, about 30 minutes.

3.Fold blue cheese and chives into potato salad until blended.  Sprinkle bacon crumbles on top.
    Mommy & Daddy Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment