Saturday, January 5, 2013

Potato Breakfast Casserole

Have I mentioned how much my kids love breakfast?  I always know that breakfast for dinner will be a hit.  I'm sharing this recipe because the kids loved it a lot!  So much that my daughter asked for leftovers for lunch the next day and then had some for breakfast the day after!  It's a very hearty breakfast that requires a bit of prep and cooking time, so it's not for a busy weeknight.  And as much as I LOVE bacon, you do not need a whole pound.  If I were to make this again, I'd only use half a pound. 

Potato Breakfast Casserole
recipe from Confabulation in the Kitchen, adapted from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
1 pound bacon, diced
1 white or yellow onion, chopped
6 large eggs, beaten
4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed*
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1.5 cups cottage cheese
1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x13 casserole dish and set aside.

2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp, then drain and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, then stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a prepared casserole dish.

2. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden at edges and bubbling. Let cool 10 minutes before cutting.

* I find the texture of frozen hashbrowns to be too hard so I like to shred them myself. But, for the sake of time and perhaps your sanity, by all means use frozen!

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.


No comments:

Post a Comment