Thursday, January 3, 2013

Bacon, Brussels Sprouts, and Goat Cheese Pizza

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!  I'm wishing you all a happy and healthy 2013!  My husband took some days off of work and with almost everyone in my family being sick at one point over the past few weeks, I took some time off to spend some quality time with the family, rest, and relax! 

I have been continuing to make pizza almost weekly.  It's quick and easy, depending on what I put on it, and I know it's something that the kids love.  It's really hard to find meals that I know that both kids will eat and enjoy that don't involve pizza, mac & cheese, or chicken nuggets and french fries! I have been meaning to share this recipe for awhile now.  When I found it I immediately knew that I was going to be trying it out.  It includes three of my favorite ingredients on a pizza!!!  It couldn't be bad.....and it wasn't!!  All the flavors compliment each other really well.  I would definitely make this pizza again. 


Bacon, Brussels Sprouts and Goat Cheese Pizza
recipe from Pink Parsley, adapted from Shutterbean, via Cook Like a Champion

Ingredients:
1 lb pizza dough
4 pieces of bacon, chopped
5-6 Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 Tbs olive oil, plus more for brushing the dough
1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 large shallot, thinly sliced
salt and pepper
1/2 cup shredded sharp aged white cheddar
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese

Directions:
Place a pizza stone or sheet pan in the oven and preheat to 450 degrees.
Cook the bacon in a skillet, until just crispy and lightly browned, 4-5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.

In a medium bowl, toss the brussels sprouts with the shallots, garlic, oil, vinegar, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper.

Stretch the pizza dough into a 14-inch circle. Brush the perimeter with olive oil.

Sprinkle the dough with the cheddar and parmesan, leaving a thin border around the edge. Evenly distribute the brussels sprouts mixture, then top with the bacon and goat cheese.

Carefully transfer the pizza and parchment to the stone in the oven, and bake 10-12 minutes, or until the crust is browned and the toppings are cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cook 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.

Mommy & Daddy Rating:  1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment