Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Caramelized-Onion Lasagna with Gorgonzola Sauce

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas.  We hosted Christmas with both my family and my husband's family.  I just realized now that with all of the hustle and bustle of trying to get the food ready and on the table at the same time, that I didn't take any pics of the dishes! :(  I also realize that as the holidays wind down now, that many people, including myself, are thinking about eating healthier and lighter fare.  However, maybe you can squeeze this dish in before the end of the year! 

A couple of weekends ago we were home making gingerbread houses with the kids.  I had the time so I thought that I'd make this dish, which I've had bookmarked for awhile.  I love caramelized onions and with the added gorgonzola sauce I thought it sounded really good.....and it was! I was surprised at how well the two ingredients paired together.  Now the original recipe calls for fresh zucchini.  I had sent my husband to the grocery store to pick up some ingredients to make the gingerbread houses and also asked him to pick up a zucchini.  He came home with a cucumber though!  Luckily, I had a bag of zucchini/squash in the freezer and defrosted and used that instead. This was definitely a weekend-type meal, where I wasn't concerned with and also had lots of time to make this.  This also isn't a dish that I'd make often, but it was a tasty dinner for my husband and I.  Onions and gorgonzola....not my children's favorite ingredients!  So for them I just cooked up some extra lasagna noodles and served with butter and cheese. 
Caramelized-Onion Lasagna with Gorgonzola Sauce
Recipe slightly adapted from Cooking Light, April 2001

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter, divided
8 cups thinly sliced onion (about 2 pounds)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 bag frozen, sliced zucchini and squash, defrosted
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 (12-ounce) cans evaporated fat-free milk
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
Cooking spray
12 cooked lasagna noodles

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375°.

Melt 2 teaspoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the wine; cook 2 minutes or until wine evaporates. Spoon into a bowl; cool.

Melt 1 teaspoon butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add half of the zucchini and squash; cook 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from pan. Add remaining zucchini; cook 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Set aside.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook 5 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add Gorgonzola ; stir until cheese melts.

Spread 1/4 cup cheese sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 noodles slightly overlapping over cheese sauce; top with half of onion mixture, half of zucchini, and 1 cup cheese sauce. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Spread the remaining cheese sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.

Mommy & Daddy Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.


No comments:

Post a Comment