Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Chicken with Balsamic Onions and Mozzarella Potatoes

I've been on an onion kick.  First the onion tart, and now chicken with balsamic onions.  I didn't put the onions on the chicken that I gave the kids.  However, my son did ask to try some and he actually liked it!  He had a couple of bites of just onion!  Now I love Rachel Ray recipes.  Out of the tons of recipes that I've made of hers, I can probably count on one hand the number of recipes that I didn't like.  However, I often have problems with her "30 minute" meals.....the main problem being that it usually takes me, your average home cook, a lot more than 30 minutes to make!  This recipe calls for 15 minutes of prep and 30 minutes to cook.  I have to say that this recipe was true to the timing and we were eating about 45 minutes after I started cooking.  I made some modifications to the original recipe.  First, I halved the potato recipe.  Two pounds of potatoes seemed way too much.  I had no parmesan cheese in the house, so I substituted with mozarella.  It was eh, and don't think I'd do it again.  The original recipe called for placing the cooked chicken on the fresh spinach.  I cooked it all up and added some feta that I had left over from the onion tart.  Wasn't too bad.  My recipe is below.


Chicken with Balsamic Onions and Mozzarella Potatoes
Adapted from Every Day with Rachael Ray, October 2011

Ingredients:
1 lb. red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper
3 1/2 tbsp. EVOO
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (5 oz. each)
1 medium red onions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
5-oz. pkg. baby spinach, loosely packed
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup feta cheese

Directions:
1.Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large pot, combine the potatoes and salted water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and cook until fork-tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pot. Toss with 2 tbsp. butter, the mozzarella, season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.


2.Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp. EVOO over medium-high heat. Season the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden-brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a baking dish; roast until cooked through, about 10 minutes.

3.In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tbsp. each butter and EVOO over medium heat. Stir in the onions and vinegar and season with salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized, about 15 minutes. At the end, stir in 1/4 cup water and scrape up any browned bits.

4. In another small skillet, heat 1/2 tbsp. of EVOO over medium heat.  Add the garlic, and saute for a minute or two.  Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Remove from heat, and sprinkle with feta.

5. Serve chicken with balsamic onions on top alongside the potatoes and spinach.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment