Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Children's Book Review: Today I Will Fly

Today I Will Fly! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)

Today I Will Fly! (An Elephant & Piggie Book)
Written by: Mo Willems
Published by: Hyperion
64 pages
Ages 4-8

from goodreads.com:
Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.
Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

Today, I Will Fly! is the funny introduction to the characters. Piggie is determined to fly. But Gerald the elephant knows that's impossible--isn't it?

* I was first introduced to Mo Willems' Elephant & Piggie Book series during story time at our local library this summer.  There were kids of all ages there and they all seemed to enjoy the story (of course I can't think of which book it was in the series at the moment!). 

This series is great for beginning readers.  The font is large and the drawings are simplistic.  There is repetition of words throughout the story and I like how the dialogue bubbles are different colors for the different characters (gray for Gerald, pink for Piggie, of course!). The story is enjoyable for kids as well as adults.
Family Rating: two thumbs up!




No comments:

Post a Comment