Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Calzones

A couple of weeks ago my friend from college was coming to visit for lunch with her six month old daughter.  Back during our freshman year of college in Ithaca, we would order calzones late at night from this place called D.P. Dough.  They'd deliver these massive calzones that were amazing!!  They had all different kinds but our favorite was the buffalo chicken one.  My husband and I like buffalo wings, chicken, etc. but I don't make it because it's too spicy for the kids.  For my lunch date though I made the kids PB & J and made these calzones for the adults.  Let me tell you they were amazing!  I made extra so my husband could have one.  I know he'd be disappointed if he missed out on these!  I made homemade  Bill's Blue Cheese Dressing but store bought bottled dressing would be fine too.  Even though I used double the dough that the original recipe called for I had enough ingredients to make 4 giant calzones.   I don't remember if these were as good as those calzones from D.P. Dough back in the day, but I have to say they were pretty darn close.  Regardless, we thought that they were delicious!

Buffalo Chicken Calzones
recipe slightly adapted from Baking Jenn

Yield:  4 calzones

Ingredients:
2 store bought pizza doughs
2 cups cubed chicken breast
1/2 cup + buffalo chicken sauce
1/4 cup blue cheese dressing
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1 cup cheddar cheese

Directions:
Preheat pizza stone in oven at 450 degrees. Heat a large skillet over medium to medium high heat. Cook chicken and 2 tbsp buffalo sauce. Stir well, cooking chicken for 5-10 minutes or until fully cooked. Transfer to a clean bowl. Add an additional 1/4C buffalo sauce to chicken. Stir to coat. Set aside.

Divide each dough into two portions. Stretch dough into a large circle or rectangle.

Coat one half of the dough with either the blue cheese dressing on the ranch dressing – not quite to the end. Cover it with the cooked buffalo chicken

Sprinkle with about a handful of the two cheeses combined.

Fold the dough over and pinch the edges to seal. Place more cheese on top.

Repeat the process for the other calzones.

Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cheese and dough are slightly brown.

Serve with extra blue cheese dressing for dipping!

Mommy & Daddy Rating: 2 thumbs up!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment