Saturday, September 8, 2012

Rustic Pasta Alfredo with Three-Cheese Italian Sausage

I bought a package of Johnsonville Three-Cheese Italian Style Sausage.  I wasn't sure how I was going to prepare and serve them.  When I was putting them in the freezer I happened to notice the recipe printed on the back of the package.  It actually looked tasty and interesting, so I decided to go with it. Unfortunately, I found the sausage to have a funny texture.  Besides that though this dish couldn't be beat for convenience.  If you're in a rush and want a quick, home-cooked dinner, this is it.  I think any type of cooked sausage would work well in this dish.  I don't normally buy jarred alfredo sauce, but it was a nice change from the regular jarred sauce we usually have. Besides picking out the veggies that they didn't like, the kids ate the pasta and sausage. Like I mentioned, I wasn't a big fan of the sausage (and lucky me, I have another package in the freezer!.  But this was so convenient to make and the kids ate it, so I'm happy.

Rustic Pasta Alfredo with Three-Cheese Italian Sausage
recipe slightly adapted from back of package and at the johnsonville website

Ingredients:
1 package (12 ounce) penne pasta, uncooked
1 small zucchini, sliced
1 small yellow squash, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1tablespoon olive oil
1package (13.5 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Three-Cheese Italian smoked sausage, sliced
1 jar (15 ounce) Alfredo sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions.

In a large skillet, sauté the zucchini, squash, onion, and garlic in oil until tender, about 5 minutes.

Add the sausage, Alfredo sauce, pepper, basil, oregano and thyme; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes longer or until heated through.

Drain pasta; stir into sausage mixture. 

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up.

No comments:

Post a Comment