Saturday, September 29, 2012

Recipe Repeat: Border-Style Shrimp

I have always loved trying new recipes.  I have kept track of the recipes I have made in a notebook since 2008!  I have the date, recipe, and the source.  And by most of the recipes I have a star rating.  I have decided to go back to some of the recipes that I gave high star ratings to see if my tastes have changed and if the kids enjoy the recipes (since my 4 year old son wasn't even born for some of these recipes!).  I'm not sure where this particular recipe is in the notebook, but I had kept it in a folder of "recipe repeats"......meaning it was good enough when I first made it that I wanted to keep it to make again.  My kids enjoy shrimp and I hadn't made it in awhile.  The thing I like about shrimp is that I can buy a 2lb. frozen bag at the grocery store.  They are easy to defrost (although the de-shelling can take some time) and super quick to cook.  I served these shrimp with this Cheesy Zucchini Quinoa.  The kids enjoyed the shrimp and it was super-easy.

Border-Style Shrimp
recipe slightly adapted from Cooking Light, December 2003

Ingredients:
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups chopped white onion
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions

Preparation:
Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add cumin, chili powder, shrimp, and garlic; sauté 4 minutes. Remove from heat, and add butter. Stir until the butter melts. Stir in lime juice and green onions.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment