Monday, September 17, 2012

Snickerdoodle Brownies

My daughter started first grade on September 5th.  Yes, I know I'm very behind on posts here!  Lots of cooking, not enough time to post all the recipes.  I wanted to have a special snack for her (and my son) when she got home from school to celebrate her first day of school.  Both of my kids like cinnamon.  I find bars so much easier to make than cookies.  Although cookies have their benefits, like you can freeze some for another time.  Though thinking about it now, I probably could have frozen half of these bars instead of throwing them out a week later.  Unfortunately, we are just not a big dessert/treat eating family.  Don't get me wrong, the kids love cookies, cake, brownies, etc.  But my husband and I limit the consumption of such treats.  So, if I don't freeze some, or my husband doesn't take the extras to work to share, then more often than not, we end up throwing away a portion of my home-baked treats!  Well, back to these Snickerdoodle Brownies. I've made Snickerdoodle cookies which we've enjoyed.  These brownies were just as good.  You have to like cinnamon though!  Warm and moist right out of the oven....delicious!  I'm not a huge cinnamon lover but thought these were good.  The kids loved the special treat snack!

Snickerdoodle Brownies
recipe from One Perfect Bite

Yield:  20-24 squares

Ingredients:
2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, at room temperature
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.

2. Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and set aside.

3. In large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth.

4. Stir in flour mixture until well blended. Spread evenly in prepared pan using a greased spatula.

5. Combine white sugar and cinnamon in a little bowl. Evenly sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over top of batter.

6.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until surface springs back when gently pressed. Cool slightly. While still warm, cut into squares with a sharp knife.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

1 comment:

  1. I've been eyeing recipes for these lately...I usually end up baking stuff and sending 80% to work with Dino so we don't waste it (or binge!) haha

    ReplyDelete