Saturday, September 15, 2012

Cheesy Zucchini Quinoa

I can't believe September is half over!  The time just keeps flying by.  The 15th means that it's time for the Eating the Alphabet Challenge hosted by Brenda at Meal Planning Magic.  This month's letters were P, Q, or R and the challenge is to make a recipe using a fruit, vegetable, or grain that begins with that letter.  I have already made a lot of recipes with peaches, plus, pineapple, etc.  That seemed too easy for me to do.  Since I've really been "challenging" myself during these challenges I decided to make a recipe using quinoa (pronounced keen-wah).  I think I've only tried this grain once before, when someone at supper club made a recipe with it.  I don't remember disliking it, I just was never really inspired to try cooking with it myself.....until this challenge. I have to say that this recipe is super quick!  I was somehow able to make this and the shrimp dish that I served it with in about 20 minutes or so. My daughter started religious education this year and from 4:30-6 every Monday is in class.  I didn't realize the time was getting so late and I had to get ready to pick her up (especially on the first day!) but I didn't want to start cooking when we got home.  I was somehow successful in getting both dishes completed before I left to get her!   At first my daughter was into the quinoa.  She thought it reminded her of couscous.  But then she started not liking it.  I had made a special dessert to celebrate my son's first day of preschool and I'm not sure if it was the lure of the dessert, but I was able to get him to eat about 3 big bites of this.  After making this, I can't say that I'm a quinoa lover, but this dish was super easy and something new for us!
Cheesy Zucchini Quinoa
recipe from Closet Cooking

Yield: makes 4 servings


Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
1 3/4 cups vegetable broth or water
1 medium zucchini, grated
1 cup cheddar, shredded
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1.Bring the quinoa and broth to a boil over medium heat, reduce the heat and simmer covered until the broth has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender,about 15-20 minutes.

2.Remove from heat am mix in the zucchini, cheese, salt and pepper.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up.












1 comment:

  1. I've had quinoa but never tried making it myself at home yet. Thanks for the recipe. I'd love if you came and shared at my healthy food link-party! http://www.youngnesters.net/2012/09/snacktime-saturday-week-3.html

    ReplyDelete