Monday, March 12, 2012

Children's Book Review: Here Come The Girl Scouts

Here Come the Girl Scouts!

Here Come the Girl Scouts!
Written by: Shana Corey
Illustrated by: Hadley Hooper
Published by: Scholastic Press, 2012
40 pages

from goodreads.com:
The amazing, all-true story of the first Girl Scouts and their visionary founder.

Juliette Gordon Low--Daisy to her friends and family--was not like most girls of the Victorian era.

Prim and proper?

BOSH!

Dainty and delicate?

HOW BORING!

She loved the outdoors, and she yearned for adventure! Born into a family of pathfinders and pioneers, she too wanted to make a difference in the world--and nothing would stop her.

Combining her ancestors’ passion for service with her own adventurous spirit and her belief that girls could do anything, she founded the Girl Scouts. One hundred years later, they continue to have adventures, do good deeds, and make a difference!

* To go along with Woman's History Month, today is also the 100th Birthday of the Girl Scouts!  I became a Brownie Girl Scout when I was in 1st grade.  My mom was my sister's Girl Scout troop leader so my dad became my Girl Scout troop leader!  We were a family of Girl Scouts.  I continued in Girl Scouting until high school and earned my Silver Award.  I was happy that my daughter showed interest in wanting to be a Girl Scout when we saw registeration signs.  Although we registered back in October, her troop wasn't formed until just last month. Luckily, just in time for cookies!  So, my daughter is a Daisy Girl Scout! 

When I found this book in the library catologue I had to request it!  It gives a great biography of Juliette Gordon Low, a.k.a. Daisy and the beginning of Girl Scouts.  It's in a pretty easy to read picture book format with lots of colorful pictures.  I really enjoyed the motivating quotes printed throughout the book, most of which came from old Girl Scout handbooks and newsletters.  I thought it was a great book for my daughter, who both helped read and listened to the story, to give her some background to the Girl Scouts.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment