Monday, March 26, 2012

Children's Book Review: My Name is Georgia

My Name Is Georgia: A Portrait by Jeanette Winter

My Name is Georgia
Written by:  Jeanette Winter
Published by:  Voyager Books, 1998

from goodreads.com:
From the time she was a young girl, Georgia O'Keeffe saw the world in her own way. At night she climbed a ladder to the starlit sky to await the sun. She walked in the hills at daybreak and in moonlight. She gathered bones and rocks, and brought them home to paint. And she always knew what was in her heart--to be an artist.

* As I continue to read books to my kids this month that celebrate famous women, I wanted to include an artist.  This children's picture book has won numerous awards including A Publisher Weekly Best Book of the Year and an ALA Notable Children's Book.  As you read, you can see why.  This is a great book to introduce children to Georgia O'Keefe.  The book is written in a first person point of view with simple text.  The pictures are colorful but do not include images of any real art work.  Of course I am familiar with O'Keefe's flowers, but only after reading this book did I learn about her desert skull paintings. 

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment