Monday, March 5, 2012

Children's Book Review: In Like a Lion Out Like a Lamb

In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb

In Like a Lion Out Like a Lamb
Written by: Marion Dane Bauer
Illustrated by:  Emily Arnold McCully
Published by: Holiday House, 2011
32 pages

from goodreads.com:
In this exuberant, rhythmic story, March, personified as a lion, enters a boy's cozy home and leaves a trail of snow flurries and muddy footprints. The boy calmly observes the pouncing, howling, growling lion until in comes the lamb on the crest of a huge sneeze. 

* I cannot believe that March is here already!  February seemed to fly by, even with that extra day this year!  I know by me, here in New York, the weather has definitely not been very wintery (so happy about that!) and I've been enjoying our early Spring-like weather.  With the beginning of March, I borrowed this book for my daughter, to illustrate the saying "March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb."  This story is told in rhyming text and with the help of colorful drawings show this metaphor.  The poor lamb didn't get a very big role in this story, however, the end of the book the point is made. I think it helped to give her a visualization and by the end she understood the saying.  However, not a favorite read.

Family Rating: So-so.

No comments:

Post a Comment