Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Schnitzel and Veggies

Schniztel is an Austrian dish, traditionally made with veal, that is pounded thin and then fried.  I have to say that I don't normally eat veal.  Dating back to when I was in high school and realized where veal came from I became a vegetarian.  That lasted for probably a week or two (I can't help it, I cannot give up bacon!) but nonetheless, I still don't eat veal very much.  This recipe calls for a pork tenderloin, where you slice and pound the pork into thin slices.  I was in the grocery store though and found already pounded thin pork cutlets.  It was definitely a time saver!  I posted the original recipe for the Schnitzel and Veggies.  I followed the recipe for the pork, however, I am not a big fan of fresh, cooked tomatoes.  I ended up sauteing the zucchini with some garlic and then adding a little bit of leftover canned tomato sauce.  This brought back memories of a zucchini side dish that my mom made growing up that was very similar, and which I liked a lot!  Overall, this was a quick an easy meal.  I ended up serving it with mashed potatoes, which take a little time in the prep work.  Everyone enjoyed it....except my son, as usual!


Schnitzel and Veggies
EveryDay with Rachael Ray, October 2007

Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
2 large eggs
1 1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 8 even pieces and pounded
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
2 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
1 large tomato, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 lemon, cut into wedges

Directions:
1.Preheat the oven to 250 degrees . In a wide shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, parmesan and 2 pinches each salt and pepper; set aside. In another shallow bowl, beat the eggs. Turn each piece of pork in the crumbs to coat well, then coat with the eggs and again with the crumbs; transfer to a plate.

2.In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add 4 pork cutlets and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with 2 more tablespoons olive oil and the remaining cutlets.

3.In a medium skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini and garlic and cook, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Add the tomato and cook until warmed through, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.

4.Serve 2 pork cutlets per person with the zucchini and lemon wedges.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment