Thursday, March 1, 2012

Children's Book Review: Peanut Butter and Jellyfishes: A Very Silly Alphabet Book



Peanut Butter and Jellyfishes:  A Very Silly Alphabet Book
Written by:  Brian P. Cleary
Illustrated by:  Betsy E. Snyder
Published by: Millbrook Press, 2007

* In honor of National Peanut Butter Lover's Day, I found this book that had a fitting title.  However, I soon found out that the book really has very little to do with peanut butter!  It is though a very cute alphabet book.  It's been a very long time since we've read an alphabet book and I'm glad that I picked this one.

There is a lot going on in this book.  This is a book told in rhyme where each letter of the alphabet has its own page.  The kids had a great time searching for things that began with each letter and there are lots of things to look for.  The illustrator also hid each letter somewhere in the picture for the reader to find.  The illustrations are very colorful and silly and had my kids laughing out loud.

On the last page each of the letters is inside a balloon.  First I had the kids take turns finding letters.  Then I gave them a word and had them point to the letter that it started with.  My daughter wanted a challenge and asked me to do the end letter sound.  An alphabet book like this offers plenty of learning opportunites and can be read over and over. 

Family Rating: 2 thumbs up!

1 comment:

  1. Hi There! I'm a follower and am co-hosting a blog hop this weekend. Come by and link up!

    ReplyDelete