Friday, March 9, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cherry Muffins

I'm always looking for new muffin recipes.  They are a breakfast staple in my house!  Once a week I give my kids a muffin, with a yogurt, and some fruit for breakfast.  I found these and have been eyeing them for awhile. 

My son takes a weekly "Cook and a Book" class where the teacher reads a children's picture book and then they cook/make a related food.  Last week they made buttermilk pancakes making homemade buttermilk using vinegar and regular milk!  I learn something new every day!  Boy has my cooking changed with this new tidbit of info!  I didn't make recipes that called for small amounts of buttermilk because it was expensive and I hated only using a little bit.  Well, now that I can make homemade buttermilk....watch out!  So, this little aside was to tell you that I used homemade buttermilk in this recipe!

These were super easy to make!  I mean, one bowl, easy!  The kids helped me make these and of course we had to try one as soon as they came out of the oven!  Delicious!


Chocolate Chip Cherry Muffins

blog: Frugal Antics Of a Harried Homemaker

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup oil
2/3-3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried cherries

Directions:
In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients, including the sugar. Add the egg and oil and enough buttermilk to make a smooth, thick batter. Fold in the chips and cherries. Bake in a greased muffin tin 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until mostly golden brown. (The buttermilk keeps the muffins on the pale side).
 
Family Rating: 2 thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment