Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Steak and Cheese Sandwiches with Mushrooms

Prior to make this, I cannot remember the last I had a steak sandwich.  It's never something I think to order when eating out and I just don't think of making it at home.  I was cleaning out my recipe folder though and saw this recipe.  I figured I'd give it a try.  Steak sounded really good at the time and I love mushrooms and onions.  While the recipe calls for presliced onion and mushrooms, mine weren't so that added to my cooking time.  This is a super quick and easy recipe.  I thought it tasted really good with everything. The picture below was taken before I got to add the cheese, since it wasn't really warm anymore at that point and wouldn't get all melty anyway (this is what happens when I get the kids ready to eat and get their dinner plated....I usually get a not-hot-enough to my liking meal!). Let's see, my son ate just the bread and cheese and my daughter ate just the steak and bread on hers.  We had some filling left over. I had to go to the doctor for my yearly physical this past weekend.  Because I had to do a fasting blood test I warned my husband that I would be starving when I got home and I'd need my coffee.  Well, he ended up making me an egg sandwich using one of the leftover rolls and the steak filling.  Can I say, yum?!!  And very filling!  It was nice walking in the door to that breakfast!

Steak and Cheese Sandwiches with Mushrooms
Cooking Light, March 2008

Yield:  4 sandwiches

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups presliced onion
2 cups green bell pepper strips
2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
1 cup presliced mushrooms
3/4 pound top round steak, trimmed and cut into thin strips
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
4 (0.6-ounce) slices reduced-fat provolone cheese, cut in half
4 (2 1/2-ounce) hoagie rolls with sesame seeds

Preparation:
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add mushrooms to pan; sauté 4 minutes. Sprinkle beef with salt and black pepper. Add beef to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in Worcestershire sauce; cook 1 minute.

2. Place 1 cheese slice half on bottom half of each roll, and top each serving with one-fourth of beef mixture. Top with remaining cheese slice halves and tops of rolls.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment