Thursday, November 8, 2012

Children's Book Review: Chester the Brave

Chester the Brave

Chester the Brave
Written by:  Audrey Penn
Illustrated by:  Barbara L. Gibson
Published by:  Tanglewood, 2012

from goodreads.com:
Little Chester Raccoon, the beloved character who has helped so many children with issues in their lives, learns the meaning of bravery and a method for overcoming his fears in this new Audrey Penn title. After sharing the story of a little bird who is afraid to have flying lessons in front of his friends, Mrs. Raccoon tells Chester that being brave doesn’t mean being unafraid; being brave means not letting that fear stop him. Mrs. Raccoon teaches Chester an important strategy: Think-Tell-Do. When he thinks he is afraid, he tells himself he can do it, and then he just does it. Of course, getting a Kissing Hand helps a little too. This simple strategy can be helpful to children in many different situations.

* The kids don't get to see my husband on Monday and Wednesdays because he has to work late and they are in bed when he gets home.  So, often on the nights that he is home I'll have him get them ready for bed while I veg out on the couch and read or watch television.  Sometimes they'll come down and we'll all read bedtime stories together.  Other times, he and the kids have their own special reading time.  They read this book together during one of those times.  When I asked if they wanted to hear it again (because I wanted to read it before it was due back at the library) they said yes, but my daughter warned me, "I thought this book was only so-so!"  My kids are familiar with the original Chester book The Kissing Hand which is a great book (and is referred to in this book).  However, I have to agree with my daughter with her so-so rating on this one.  I like the lesson about bravery in this story and the Think-Tell-Do strategy.  However, there's a story about a baby robin that goes on for awhile (and gets a little confusing in my opinion) that shows the bravery aspect which Chester than applies. Again, the strategy is good, but the story itself was lacking. 

This book was borrowed from the library.

Family Rating: So-so.

No comments:

Post a Comment