Thursday, November 15, 2012

Children's Book Review: Glamorous Glasses

Glamorous Glasses

Glamorous Glasses
Written and illustrated by:  Barbara Johansen Newman
Published by: Boyds Mills Press, 2012

from goodreads.com:
Bobbie and Joanie are best friends and best cousins, and they do everything together. So when Joanie has to get glasses, Bobbie figures she'll get them, too--especially once she discovers the fabulous frames on display at the eyeglasses store. Meanwhile, Joanie has the opposite reaction. Glasses make her feel different and look different. And they're uncomfortable. So the ever-resourceful Bobbie comes up with a perfect plan to make both of them happy. Illustrations full of rich, comical details enhance this story about friendship and a classic childhood experience.

* My daughter recently got glasses, for distance only.  While at the eye doctor my son also got his eyes checked.  He luckily doesn't need glasses....yet.  While picking out frames for my daughter I had to deal with a bit of a tantrum from my son while he kept telling me that he NEEDS glasses.  I told him that he just had his eyes checked and he did not need glasses.  I told him by the time he's six he'll probably need glasses too.  I am practically blind (though I prefer to wear contacts) and my husband wears glasses too.  He's doomed!  So, this book ended up being one that the kids could relate to.  Bobbie goes with her cousin Joanie to pick out her glasses and she really wants a pair too.  She even goes as far as to fake pretending that she needs them (pretending that she couldn't see the board, tripping on purpose, etc.).  Joanie doesn't like her glasses but really likes Bobbie's pure so they end up doing a switch.  Only after a couple of mishaps do the girls realize that Joanie should really wear her glasses!

This book was borrowed from the library.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Nancy-- Just caught this mention of Glamorous Glasses! I have a message for your son: hang in there, I feel your pain! Seriously, it made me smile and I totally felt for him.If you go to the glamorousglasses.com web site, he can decorate a make-believe pair for himself, print them, and cut them out. If you print them on card stock, he could march around with his "glasses" and have some fun...or practice for the day down the road when he will begetting them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the info and for commenting! We enjoyed your book! And my son will most likely eventually need glasses and then I'm not so sure he'll want them!

      Delete