Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Sauteed Cabbage

I made corned beef in the slow cooker for dinner recently.  We love corned beef and I figured we could eat it more than just on St. Patrick's Day!  Plus, it's so easy to make in the slow cooker it's a perfect weeknight meal!  When I was talking to my husband about making the corned beef we both agreed that we didn't want to eat it with the usual slow cooked cabbage and potatoes.  Neither of us find it tasty but I wanted to still serve it with the traditional sides.  So I ended up mashed potatoes and this cabbage recipe.  The sauteed cabbage reminds me of the halushki that my mom made us growing up (a Polish recipe of noodles and sauteed cabbage and onions).  This cabbage side was much tastier than the traditional slow cooked cabbage we normally eat.  The kids had a taste but didn't eat much of this.  As much as I enjoyed this, I definitely enjoy sauteed cabbage more mixed with egg noodles, onions, and butter!
Sauteed Cabbage
recipe from foodnetwork.com, courtesy of Barefoot Contessa

Ingredients:
1 small head white cabbage, including outer green leaves (2 1/2 pounds)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
Cut the cabbage in half and, with the cut-side down, slice it as thinly as possible around the core, as though you were making coleslaw. Discard the core.

Melt the butter in a large saute pan or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and begins to brown. Season, to taste, and serve warm.

Mommy & Daddy Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment