Saturday, November 24, 2012

Skillet Cornbread

Yesterday I posted the recipe for Back Bay Chili that my family just didn't enjoy.  I made this cornbread in the cast iron pan to serve with it.  This was my first recipe from Ree at The Pioneer Woman.  I have heard great things about her and her recipes and I don't know why I haven't tried any of her recipes before this.  I love corn bread in the skillet.  Like this bread, it gets crispy around the edges but moist inside.  I know traditional cornbread does not have sugar.  I didn't realize when I was making this that this recipe doesn't have sugar in it.  I think we were all expecting a sweet cornbread so there was a bit of disappointment when we tried this.  With a little butter slathered on though the kids were eating this up.  I would definitely make this recipe again, but probably add a little sugar to sweeten it up and it would get a 2 thumbs up rating!


Skillet Cornbread
recipe from The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients:
1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 cup Buttermilk
1/2 cup Milk
1 whole Egg
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 cup Shortening
2 Tablespoons Shortening

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Stir together.

Measure the buttermilk and milk in a measuring cup and add the egg. Stir together with a fork. Add the baking soda and stir.

Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until combined.

In a small bowl, melt 1/4 shortening. Slowly add melted shortening to the batter, stirring until just combined. In an iron skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons shortening over medium heat. Pour the batter into the hot skillet. Spread to even out the surface. (Batter should sizzle.)

Cook on stovetop for 1 minute, then bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Edges should be crispy!

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment