Monday, December 5, 2011

Carrot Cake Pancakes

I think that I've mentioned before that my kids love Breakfast For Dinner.  I needed one carrot for the peanut noodles that I made last week and was looking to make something to use up some of the other carrots.  I found this recipe and definitely had to give it a try.  I'm a big fan of carrot cake!  Although it's not my favorite dessert, it's definitely high up on the list.  Of course, I thought I had a bar of cream cheese in the fridge, so I didn't buy one.  Only when I went to make the "icing" did I realize that I didn't.  I did have a tub of strawberry cream cheese though, so I ended up using that and slathering it on top of the pancakes.  It actually wasn't too bad, but I would have liked to see how the pancakes would have tasted with the maple cream cheese filling.  I ended up doubling the recipe, which left enough to have some for breakfast over the weekend.

Carrot Cake Pancakes
From foodblog:  closetcooking.com

Ingredients:
1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup milk (or buttermilk)
1 egg
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup carrot (grated)
4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
3 tablespoons maple syrup
powdered sugar to taste

Directions:
1. Mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and in a large bowl.

2. Mix the milk, egg, sugar and carrot in another bowl.

3. Mix the wet and dry ingredients making sure to not over mix.

4. Heat a pan and melt a touch of butter in it.

5. Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into the pan and heat until the surface starts to bubble and the bottom is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.

6. Flip the pancake and cook the other side until the bottom is golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.

7. Mix the cream cheese and maple syrup and add some powdered sugar to get it as sweet as you like.

8. Spread the cream cheese onto the pancakes.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up! A great way to "sneak" in some veggies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment