Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Children's Book Review: I Want My Hat Back

I Want My Hat Back

I Want My Hat Back
Written by:  Jon Klassen
Published by: Candlewick Press, 2011
40 pages

from goodreads.com:
The bear’s hat is gone, and he wants it back. Patiently and politely, he asks the animals he comes across, one by one, whether they have seen it. Each animal says no, some more elaborately than others. But just as the bear begins to despond, a deer comes by and asks a simple question that sparks the bear’s memory and renews his search with a vengeance. Told completely in dialogue, this delicious take on the classic repetitive tale plays out in sly illustrations laced with visual humor— and winks at the reader with a wry irreverence that will have kids of all ages thrilled to be in on the joke.

* There are many things that I liked about this book.  The print is pretty simple and stands out on the page.  Some of the text is repetitive which is good for beginning readers.  My daughter noticed and enjoyed that as bear talked to the different animals, their responses were in different colors. This made it easy for us to read aloud the book together.  She read the bear and I read the other animals. The ending had a surprise twist which had to be explained to my five year old. It did lead into a discussion about taking things that don't belong to you and lying about it. However, in this case, the consequence was a little harsh!

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment