Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Meatless Monday & Recipe Repeat: Cheesy Noodles with Corn

I made this recipe awhile back, long before I started making notes and rating the recipes that I cooked.  So, I didn't actually remember if we had enjoyed this the last time I had made it. I thought it would be a winner because it's basically mac and cheese with corn.  My daughter ate all of hers, my son ate about half. This is fast and easy to make for a weeknight meal.  I'm sure it would taste good with some chopped ham added in, if you didn't want to make it a meatless meal.  There are so many other mac and cheese recipes out there that I won't be making this one again, since we didn't LOVE it.

Cheesy Noodles with Corn
Cooking Light, January 1998

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups 1% low-fat milk
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 (16-ounce) loaf light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light)
4 cups cooked wide egg noodles (about 6 1/2 ounces uncooked pasta)
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 (10-ounce) package frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
 Cooking spray
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 450°.

Place flour in a medium saucepan. Gradually add milk; stir with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook 6 minutes or until thick; stir constantly. Add pepper and processed cheese; cook 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Stir constantly.

Combine cheese sauce, noodles, onions, and corn in a bowl. Spoon into a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until bubbly. Broil 3 minutes or until lightly browned.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment