Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Children's Book Review: Freckleface Strawberry

Freckleface Strawberry

Freckleface Strawberry
Written by:  Julianne Moore
Illustrated by: LeUyen Pham
Published by: Bloomsbury U.S.A. Children's Books
32 pages

from goodreads.com:
If you have freckles, you can try these things: 1) Make them go away. Unless scrubbing doesn't work. 2) Cover them up. Unless your mom yells at you for using a marker. 3) Disappear. Um, where'd you go?Oh, there you are. There's one other thing you can do: 4) LIVE WITH THEM!

Because after all, the things that make you different also make you YOU. From acclaimed actress Julianne Moore and award-winning illustrator LeUyen Pham comes a delightful story of a little girl who's different ... just like everybody else.

* A friend of mine recommended that I read this book to my daughter awhile ago and I never got around to picking it up from the library.  The Manhattan Movement and Arts Center down in NYC is the theater where Freckleface Strawberry, the musical (based on the book) is performed.  My husband and I discussed possibly taking the kids to see the show, but of course I'd need to read the book to them first.  I don't think that I've read many celebrity written children's books (I do love Jamie Lee Curtis' books!) so I wasn't sure about Julianne Moore as an author.  I was pleasantly surprised by this sweet book.   Freckleface Strawberry is a great book that celebrates being yourself rather than what you look like. Not only was Freckleface Strawberry finally able to accept her freckles, but she realized that her friends missed her when she went into "hiding."  Although it was a cute story, I think we're going to wait a little while before possibly going down to the city to see the musical.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment