Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Chewy Chocolate Cookies

My daughter's Kindergarten class is having a holiday party tomorrow and I was asked to bring in cookies.  I have to admit, I was trying to avoid running out to the grocery store in the cold and rain today, so I was looking for a cookie to make that I had all the ingredients for.  I found this recipe while perusing through my cookbooks.  Before today, I had never made cookies from boxed cake mix, but have been wanting to try them. I figured, they are for five year olds and they're chocolate.  I don't think they'll care too much either way!  They didn't turn out too bad.  My husband thought that they tasted too cakey, before he was told that they were made from cake mix!  He recommended making them smaller and putting creme or marshmallow between, a.k.a. whoopie pies.  That does sound good!  I also made my cookies too big.  The recipe says they make approximately 5 dozen, but I barely got 30 made. I made two modifications - one I used regular chocolate cake mix and two, I used white chocolate chips.  These were so quick and easy, I'm thinking of buying another box of cake mix and trying the whoopie pies!


Chewy Chocolate Cookies
Cooking Light, April 1998

Ingredients:
1 (18.25-ounce) package light devil's food cake mix
2 tablespoons stick margarine or butter, softened
2 tablespoons water
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Cooking spray

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat at medium speed of a mixer 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up (were super quick and easy, pretty tasty, but true home-made cookies are better.)

No comments:

Post a Comment