Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Meatless Monday & Recipe Repeat: Broccoli and Cheddar Skillet Flan

Going through my folder of recipes that I've cooked before, I found this one.  I know my husband, a.k.a. "the weekend chef" already made quiche over the weekend, but I had my recipe already picked out and on the menu first!  I have to say that it was definitely missing something.  Possibly the nutmeg that I omitted.  I rarely use nutmeg anymore due to a mac and cheese recipe that was ruined, in my opinion, due to the addition of the spice!   I needed to add hot sauce to my piece to enjoy it.  The kids had theirs with ketchup.  So, although this was definitely quick and easy, I don't think I'll be making this one again. 


Broccoli and Cheddar Skillet Flan
Gourmet, February 2007

There are fluffy eggs, melting cheese, and golden hash browns in every bite of this one-dish meal. It makes a good stand-in for quiche, with potatoes acting as a crust.


Ingredients:
6 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Rounded 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large shallot, chopped
1 (1-lb) bag frozen hash browns, thawed in a microwave oven
1 (10-oz) box frozen chopped broccoli, thawed

Directions:•Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F.

•Whisk together eggs, milk, pepper, nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until combined, then whisk in cheddar and 3 tablespoons parmesan.

•Heat oil in a well-seasoned 10-inch cast-iron skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté shallot, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 3 minutes. Add hash browns and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Spread potatoes evenly in skillet and cook, undisturbed, 2 minutes. Remove from heat and spread broccoli over potatoes, then pour in egg mixture. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan. Bake until set 2 inches from edge but still slightly wobbly in center, 12 to 15 minutes.

•Turn on broiler. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat until top is set, puffed, and golden brown.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment