Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Children's Book Review: A Christmas Tree for Pyn



A Christmas Tree for Pyn
Written by:  Olivier Dunrea
Published by: Philomel Books, 2011
32 pages

from goodreads.com:
Christmas is coming. In the craggy rocks on the snowy mountainside, tiny Pyn has her heart set on decorating her very first Christmas tree. But, "No Christmas tree," Papa says. Still, Pyn won't take no for an answer. She knows that a Christmas tree is just the thing their cottage needs to make the season festive and cheery. Pyn is determined to find the perfect Christmas tree - no matter what.

With this story of the love between a father and daughter, Olivier Dunrea captures the true spirit of Christmas.
 
* Olivier Dunrea has written several other children's books, none of which I have read before.  Warning, this is a pretty lengthy read and did not hold the interest of my three year old son.  My daughter and I weren't sure how to pronounce the main character's name. I was reading it "Pin" and she read it as "Pine".  Papa is a bit gruff and makes her call him by his first name, Oother.  Mom is not in the picture and we never find out why, though I think she passed away.  So, overall, I have to say that we just weren't big fans of this book.  Possibly a better read for older kids.
 
Family rating: So-so.

No comments:

Post a Comment