Sunday, December 11, 2011

Red Velvet Blossoms

Our friends host an annual Christmas party with a cookie contest.  We won first place last year with these Chocolate-Peppermint Cookies from Martha Stewart: http://www.marthastewart.com/334691/chocolate-peppermint-cookies.

So while I was perusing the Cooking Light Message Boards searching for a cookie to make for this year's party, these jumped out at me.  I love red velvet cake and these looked delicious, and holiday-ey.  So, there I was making the cookie dough Friday when I went to add the red food coloring and discovered the two little drops left in the red food coloring bottle.  The oven was turned off, the dryer was stopped and my son and I made a quick trip to the grocery store to pick some more food coloring up.  I was surprised to discover that McCormack makes a large bottle of just red food coloring!  (I guess it's one of those things you don't notice unless you're looking for it!).  So home we went and finished preparing the cookie dough for these cookies.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the "red" enough look that I was looking for.  They looked nice, but I found them a little too crunchy, probably due to overbaking on my part.  I may retry making these to get them a little softer.  I didn't think these cookies "worthy" enough for the cookie contest so I had to search for a different cookie.  That recipe will follow in another post.

Red Velvet Blossoms
Found on the Cooking Light Message Boards, posted by Choctini
Original recipe from Cuisine at Home

Make these cookies as vibrant or deep red as you choose by simply adjusting the amount of food color.

Makes: about 3 dozen cookies
Total time: about 45 minutes

Ingredients:
WHISK:
1 1⁄2cups all-purpose flour
1⁄4cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1⁄2tsp. baking soda
1⁄4tsp. table salt

COMBINE:
1⁄2cup vegetable or canola oil
1⁄2cup packed brown sugar
1⁄2cup granulated sugar
1egg
1Tbsp. liquid red food color
1tsp. distilled white vinegar

FREEZE: 32white chocolate “kiss” candies (such as Hershey’s Hugs)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.

Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.

Combine oil, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a bowl with a mixer on medium speed until creamy, 3 minutes. Add the egg and mix to combine.

Mix in food color and vinegar until fully incorporated.

Add flour-cocoa mixture to sugar mixture; mix to combine.

Scoop dough with a #100 or #60 scoop (1–2 tsp.) onto prepared baking sheets.

Bake cookies until puffed and edges are set, 10–12 minutes.

Freeze candies (while baking cookies) to prevent melting when inserted into cookies.

Remove cookies from oven and insert one candy into each cookie. Let cookies stand on baking sheets 2 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.

Family Rating:  so-so.

No comments:

Post a Comment