Friday, January 27, 2012

Children's Book Review: Big Red Lollipop

Big Red Lollipop

Big Red Lollipop
Written by:  Rukhsana Khan
Illustrated by:  Sophie Blackall
Published by: Viking Children's Books, 2010
40 pages

from goodreads.com:
Rubina has been invited to her first birthday party, and her mother, Ami, insists that she bring her little sister along. Rubina is mortified, but she can't convince Ami that you just don't bring your younger sister to your friend's party. So both girls go, and not only does Sana demand to win every game, but after the party she steals Rubina's prized party favor, a red lollipop. What's a fed-up big sister to do?

Rukhsana Khan's clever story and Sophie Blackall's irresistible illustrations make for a powerful combination in this fresh and surprising picture book.
 
* I really enjoyed this book.  It is the 2011 Golden Kite Award (recognizing excellence in children's literature) Winner for Picture Book text. I think it might have been a little complex for my 3 year old son to understand, but I think my daughter "got it."  The author Rukhsana Khan is from Pakistan, so I assumed that the family in the story was also. As we were reading, I had to explain to the kids that the family wasn't from America, pointing out how I knew this (the way mom was dressed, not knowing the custom of birthday parties).  Issues of sibling rivalry are addressed as well as forgiveness in each sister's own way.  My kids are really good about not eating each other's treats, sharing, and asking each other if they want some of the other's treat.  So, they were a little surprised when Sana ate Rubina's lollipop!  There were a lot of layers to this story and I think everyone took something from this book!
 
Family Rating: two thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment