Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sausage Crepesadillas

My children love sausage!  I know it's not the healthiest for them and I could substitute in turkey sausage recipes.  I also like looking for new ways to cook with it.  This recipe looked interesting.  This is probably the only time a crepe pan would come in handy!  It took me awhile to get the hang of it (the first couple of crepes just broke into pieces) but by the end I was getting nice round crepes.  Unfortunately, this is one of the few Rachel Ray recipes that I've been disappointed in.  I liked the play on the French/Mexican theme but I think I'd rather a real quesadilla.  The crepe was just too mushy. I think this would make a great dish using tortillas in place of the crepes and having a Sausage Quesadilla!


Sausage Crepesadillas
Every Day with Rachael Ray, February 2010
4 Servings
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 20 min

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 large eggs
3/4 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
12 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casings discarded
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves
1/2 cup prepared tomato salsa

Directions:
1.Preheat the oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a blender, mix the milk, eggs, flour and salt for 1 minute.

2.In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat; transfer to a bowl. Add 2 teaspoons butter and the onion to the skillet and cook until softened; transfer to the bowl. Wipe out the skillet.

3.In the skillet, heat 1/2 teaspoon butter over medium heat. Pour 1/3 cup batter into the pan, swirling, and cook until golden. Flip and cook for 1 minute more. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining butter and batter to make a total of 8 crêpes.

4.Divide the cheese, sausage-onion mixture, cilantro and salsa among 4 of the crêpes. Top with the remaining crêpes and bake until the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes. Cut into quarters.

Family Rating: So-so.

No comments:

Post a Comment