Monday, January 16, 2012

Greek Easter Cookies from Smyrna

As I mentioned in my previous post, I wasn't sure if I was going to like the baklava that made for my supper club's Greek themed dinner.  So, just in case I made these cookies to bring too.  The original recipe, posted below, yields 5 dozen cookies!  So, I halved the recipe, which still left me with a ton left over.  These cookies turned out to be a bit dry for my liking.  If I was a tea drinker, these might be nice softened up by dunking them in hot tea.  Effort wise, these cookies were not worth it.  Each cookie had to be hand rolled into worm-like shapes and then folded into S like shapes.  The orange zest did give them a nice flavor.  However, I will not be making these again!

Greek Easter Cookies from Smyrna
allrecipes.com -  by Rosina

Yields:  60 cookies

Ingredients:
2 cups butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup milk
8 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 egg

Directions:
1.Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside. In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add 4 egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each one. Add milk and flour.

2.Work with the hands until dough is smooth. Add grated orange rind. Dough should be stiff so add additional flour if needed.

3.Break off small portions of dough and roll out into pencil-size strips about 11 inches long. Fold each strip into thirds, sideways, and press lightly together at ends.

4.Place cookies on ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with beaten egg. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 18 to 20 minutes.

Family Rating:  So-so.

No comments:

Post a Comment