Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Meatless Monday: Zucchini-Onion Pizza

I think I've made home-made pizza dough once, for a supper club pizza themed dinner.  It's one of those things that I'd like to make home-made more often, but it's so cheap and readily available at the grocery store!  I almost always pick up a pizza dough or two during my weekly grocery shopping trips.  It's a fast and easy meal when I need it.  So, last night my husband was nice enough to make this for dinner for us.  I have to admit that I didn't even have the kids try a bite of this. We made them a plain pizza.  Dinner was late, since I was out shopping at Kohls (I had to use my Kohls cash!).  By the time I got home and informed my husband of what he was going to be cooking, it was close to 6:30.  Being in a time crunch, I wasn't going to argue with the kids about trying this pizza....plus that meant more for us!  I thought this was delicious and it only uses 5 ingredients!  It was a nice change from the tomato sauce based pizza that we usually make. Just some changes - didn't have asiago cheese.  We used a mix of grated romano and shredded mozarella.  I didn't weigh the zucchini in the store. I just bought a smallish medium zucchini.  We grated that and sauteed it with the onion, but there was plenty of the mixture left over. 

Zucchini-Onion Pizza
Every Day with Rachael Ray, October 2010

Ingredients:
2 pounds grated zucchini
1 finely chopped onion
1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
1/2 cup grated asiago cheese
1 pound prepared pizza dough

Directions:
1.Position an inverted baking sheet in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 450°. Toss 2 pounds grated zucchini with 3/4 teaspoon salt in a colander. Let stand for 20 minutes, then squeeze dry. In a large skillet, cook the zucchini and 1 finely chopped onion in 1 tablespoon extra- virgin olive oil until softened, about 7 minutes; transfer to a large bowl, season with pepper and freeze for 15 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup each grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese and grated asiago cheese. Divide 1 pound prepared pizza dough in half. On a parchment-lined rimless or inverted baking sheet, stretch out 1 piece of dough to a 12-inch round; brush with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Sprinkle half of the zucchini mixture on top, leaving a ½-inch border, and slide onto the hot baking sheet. Bake until golden-brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make a second pizza.


Mommy & Daddy rating:  2 thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment