Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Children's Book Review: Snow White and the Seven Aliens



Snow White and the Seven Aliens
Written by:  Laurence Anholt
Illustrated by:  Arthur Robins
Published by: Compass Point Books, 2004
64 pages

from goodreads.com:
The ugly old Mean Queen is jealous of Snow White, because she has a pretty little nose and wants to be a pop star. The Mean Queen tries to stop Snow White's dream coming true, but will she be a match for seven singing aliens?


* This book caught my eye with the bright colors and the title.  When I pulled it off the library shelf and saw "Seriously Silly Stories" it had me.  This is a very altered version of the classic fairy tale Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.  The pages aren't overwhelmed with too much text, however, it is not a good book for a beginning reader (unless it's read aloud to or with him/her).  The illustrations are black and white sketched.  My daughter read this on her own in less than 30 minutes.  She was laughing aloud and told me how silly and funny the book was. So, of course I had to read it too.  Kids who are familiar with the classic tale will enjoy the silly twist of this book.  This is only one book of many in the "seriously silly series" and I think they could be motivating for reluctant readers.  My daughter's already picked out the next one she wants to read, Little Red Riding Wolf.
 
Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment