Monday, July 2, 2012

Around the World: Arroz Branco

I often make rice.....in a rice cooker.  Put the rice in add the water and in about twenty minutes the rice is cooked!  I don't know if I would have ever bought myself a rice cooker, but a friend gave it to me as a present when I was in college.  According to sonia-portugese.com, most Brazilians eat rice with beans for lunch and dinner every day.  I'm not a big bean eater, but regardless, I don't think I could eat the same thing every day!  I have to say that this dish is super simple with few ingredients.  The sauteed onion and garlic added nice flavor to otherwise plain rice.  We all enjoyed this as an accompaniment to a not so flavorful chicken dish.
Arroz Branco
recipe from sonia-portuguese.com

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon of oil
1 (small) chopped onion
1 (small) clove of crushed garlic
1 cup of rice
1 1/2 cup of boiling water
1 teaspoon of salt

Preparation:
1. Sauté the onion and the garlic in hot oil.

 2. Add the rice and stir-fry well.

 3. Add the water and the salt.

4. Let the water boil for some minutes.

5. When the water level drops, cover the pan and lower the heat.

6. When the rice is cooked, turn off the heat and let the rice rest for about 10 minutes.

7. Put the rice in a bowl and serve.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment