Monday, July 16, 2012

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

I don't bake a lot.  Although my family loves cookies, brownies, cupcakes, etc. we just don't eat a lot of them.  My kids have a very chaotic schedule this summer.  Between who goes to camp on which days, swimming lessons, gymnastics, etc. I had to create a special calendar just to keep track!  Last week my daughter was at camp all week but my son only goes three days a week.  So on one of his home with mommy days I recruited him to help me make these cookies.  They were easy enough for him to help make.  What I love about making cookies is that they don't take a lot of time to bake.  In less than 15 minutes we were sampling a warm out of the oven cookie.  I was going out to dinner with an old colleague of mine later that night so I packed a little bag of cookies to give to her.  The kids were going to my parent's house for dinner that night (so I could go out!) so we brought along a bag to share with them.  And after all that sharing we still had plenty of cookies left over for us to enjoy.  These had a lot going on but were a tasty treat.

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
from Edesia's Notebook

Yield:  Approximately 4 dozen

Ingredients:
½ cup shortening
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
¾ cup white sugar
1 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1½ cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°.

In a large bowl, cream together shortening, butter, brown sugar, white sugar, and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in the oats and chocolate chips until just combined. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until just light brown. Don't over-bake. Cool and store in an airtight container.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment