Friday, July 13, 2012

Mexican Breakast Hash

A few weeks ago I had a bunch of different ingredients left over that I thought would make a great breakfast for dinner meal.  Breakfast for dinner is always a huge hit in our house and I'm guaranteed that the kids will eat all of their dinner.  This dish was no exception.  The chorizo was a little spicy for them but otherwise they enjoyed this.  I know hash is normally made with fried eggs.  My husband made some fried eggs for his when he got home.  But since I hate egg yolks, (especially runny ones) I made scrambled eggs for the kids and I.  This was a nice hearty meal that used a bunch of leftover ingredients up!

Mexican Breakfast Hash
my own recipe

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. olive oil
4 Eastern potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 chorizo link, casing removed and crumbled
1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup salsa (more for topping)
 shredded cheddar cheese for topping
6-8 eggs scrambled

Directions:
Heat oil in cast iron skillet (or large frying pan) over medium heat. 

Add potatoes and onions and cook until browned, stirring every once in awhile for approximately 20 minutes.

Add chorizo crumbles and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.

Add black beans and salsa and cook for 3-5 minutes until heated through. 

Spoon hash on plate, pile scrambled eggs on top, top with a couple of pinches of cheese and additional salsa if desired.

Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment