Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Around The World: Picadinho'A Brasilie

Happy 4th of July!  I have scheduled recipe posts only for the next couple of days while I'm on vacation with the kids at my parents beach house in Rhode Island.  Unfortunately, my husband recently started a new job and has no vacation time.  Since this is a yearly vacation tradition, I had to take the kids!  Plus, my sister and her husband and daughter, and my brother will all be up during the week, so it should be a good time!

As we continue our tour of Brazil I made this recipe.  I ended up halving the recipe, which I posted here, since the original recipe served 8.  The day I made this my son was sick with a 102+ temperature and not into eating.  Not that I think he'd eat this even if he was feeling well! This is not a quick recipe to make.  The onions were first caramelized, which takes 15-20 minutes.  Honestly, you couldn't tell in the dish that the onions were caramelized.  I think they could just be sauteed for a few minutes and it would taste very similar.  But, there's a lot of simmering.....like altogether over an hour.  I don't really know of any substitutions for red wine, so I ended up opening up a bottle.  The red wine added flavor to the dish but the rest of the mostly full bottle went to waste, since neither my husband or I are big wine drinkers.   I served this over white rice.  My daughter was picking out the onions and tomatoes....so it took her awhile to eat.  Overall, we weren't big fans of this dish.

Picadinho'A Brasilie
recipe from allrecipes.com by Woman Whisking

Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
1 onions, chopped
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 pound ground beef
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
3 eggs
1/2 (15.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
3/4 cup red wine

Directions:
1.Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onions and garlic, and cook until the onions have caramelized to a deep, golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir frequently as the onions cook. Meanwhile, place the ground beef, bell pepper, eggs, tomatoes, and parsley into a mixing bowl; mix until evenly combined.


2.Add the meat mixture into the caramelized onions, and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook and stir until the beef is crumbly and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in the red wine. Continue simmering, covered, until the liquid evaporates, about 1 hour.

Family Rating: So-so.

No comments:

Post a Comment