Sunday, July 1, 2012

Around the World: Brazilian Chicken with Coconut Milk

When going through recipes in preparation for Brazil, my daughter requested a chicken dish.  I found most of the recipes online, mostly from allrecipes.com.  They either had "Brazilian" in the title, like this recipe, or had reviews by people of Brazilian heritage.  Therefore, I cannot validate the authenticity of these recipes as being truly Brazilian.

Most of the Brazilian recipes that I found and made called for cayenne pepper and/or jalapeno peppers.  To make the dishes child-friendly I omitted those ingredients.  Unfortunately, by omitting those ingredients I think I took away a lot of the flavor, which I think was sadly the problem in this recipe.  I have to say this dish was quick and easy to make.  I served it with Arroz Branco (see tomorrow's recipe) and Oven Baked Sweet Plantains (see Tuesday's recipe).  I think with the cayenne pepper and jalapenos that the original recipe called for this dish might be tasty.

Brazilian Chicken with Coconut Milk
recipe slightly adapted from allrecipes.com - by MLYIN

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk

Directions:
1.In a medium bowl, mix the cumin, turmeric, and coriander. Place the chicken in the bowl, season with salt and pepper, and rub on all sides with the spice mixture.

2.Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken in the skillet. Cook 10 to 15 minutes on each side, until no longer pink and juices run clear. Remove from heat and set aside.

3.Heat the remaining olive oil in the skillet. Cook and stir the onion and garlic 5 minutes, or until tender. Mix in the tomatoes and continue cooking 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk. Serve over the chicken.

Family Rating: So-so.

No comments:

Post a Comment