Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Around the World: Oven Baked Sweet Plantains

Our family has had plantains, prepared as both sweet plantains and tostones from a local Puerto Rican eatery.  I have only made them a couple of times though.  Yes, the ingredient list for this recipe couldn't get any simpler.  Plantains and cooking spray, that's it.  While I was slicing the plantains up, my kids wanted to know what I was cutting.  They thought they were bananas.  I told them that they were plantains and that they were similar to bananas.  It wasn't until now that when I checked Wikipedia that I discovered there is no formal botanical  distinction between bananas and plantains.  The difference is how they are consumed, where bananas are usually eaten uncooked and plantains are usually cooked.  Regardless, my kids were eating the raw plantain slices up like there was no tomorrow.  I had to tell them to stop so that I would have enough for dinner!  Unfortunately, these plantains were ready before the chicken and rice were.  I snuck a taste right after they came out of the oven and they were crunchy and delicious!  By the time I got around to actually eating some with dinner they had gotten cold and chewy.  While my son still loved them my daughter wasn't a fan of the plantains once they were cooked.  I would definitely think about making these again but would make sure that I eat them right after they came out of the oven!

Oven Baked Sweet Plantains
recipe from food.com

Ingredients:
4 very ripe plantains (yellow skin with spots of black)
cooking spray

Directions:
1 Preheat oven to 450°F.

2 Coat a nonstick cookie sheet with cooking spray.

3 Cut the ends off of the plantains and peel.

4 Cut each plantain on the diagonal into 1/2 inch slices.

5 Arrange in single layer and coat tops with cooking spray.

6 Bake, turning occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, until plantains are golden brown and very tender.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up.

No comments:

Post a Comment